The MAC Hyde Park Masjid (MHP) was initially contemplated in the summer of 2019 with a unique opportunity to partner and invest for the future of the community at the Hyde Park Square Shopping Centre (1175 Hyde Park Rd). The Masjid is currently targeted to open at the beginning of 2021, although the committee has been renting a temporary space in the interim. The Masjid is a unique opportunity since the community is able to acquire a partial ownership in the shopping centre, which will in turn fund a significant portion of the rental and maintenance cost of the space rented by the community.
The Need for the New Masjid
Some of the key goals of the new Masjid include the following;
- Provide spaces and services for youth, such as BYG, SYG, and various halaqas (learning circles)
- Provide a venue for the community, especially youth, to be physically active in a well-equipped gymnasium space. The gym will also be capable of hosting small events and private functions.
- Serve the needs of the community in one of the fastest growing parts of the city that already has a very high concentration of Muslims living in it.
- With the sale of MAC Youth Centre, provide an alternate venue to serve the community in the northern part of the city.
- Build human resources, programming, systems, and processes in preparation for the future MAC Noor Gardens Community Centre.
- Support MAC Westmount Masjid in terms of expanding services and programs to a different part of the community with additional space.
MAC Hyde Park Centre Committee
The new Masjid will be operated by the MHP Centre Committee and consists of various volunteers and leading Centre staff, that overlook the day to day operations of the MHP. Their efforts will be fundamental to ensuring professionalism, organization and commitment to service that was demonstrated at the Westmount Masjid is maintained and built upon. The team members of the MHP Centre Committee are in process of being finalized but they include the following.
- Khaled Sultan
- Omar Sharar
- Ezeddine Masoud
- Humayoun Khan
- Jehan Kadri
- Loai Soliman
- Zakiya Fadel
- and others
- Support from Chapter Committee and Westmount Centre Committee
Activities & Programming
Like the MAC Westmount Masjid, the new Masjid will have very similar activities, though there will be special programs to utilize the gymnasium as well. Below is a list of the various additional activities offered by the MAC Hyde Park Masjid.
- 5 daily prayers
- Youth Programming (Brothers and Sisters Youth Groups)
- Gym and athletic programs
- Family Nights
- Quran Hifz (memorization) Program
- Arabic School Program
- Mom and Tot’s programs
- Taraweh (Ramadan evening prayers)
- Tahajjud (Late night prayers)
- Iftars and Suhoor (pre-fast, and breaking of the fast meals)
- And much much more…
Partial Ownership $720,000
Construction Costs $480,000
Furniture & Furnishings $100,000
Total Needed $1,300,000